Most people I know do not drink enough water. The general rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight in ounces. So if you weight 150 pounds, you should be drinking 75 ounces. Then if you exercise you need extra water. If you drink coffee or soda you need extra. If you travel especially by airplane, you need extra.
Let me share how the extra actually works. If you have a 8 ounce cup of coffee, you 8 ounces of water to just neutralize the effects of the coffee (in regards to hydration). So back in the day when I drinking eight 44 ounces diet cokes a day and drinking two gallons of water, I was still dehydrated. In fact I didn’t even get to the break even point…352 ounces of diet coke versus only 256 ounces of water. So glad I gave that up!
So this week, drink an adequate amount of water each day to maintain a healthy level of hydration.
Let’s talk about how to get it all in.
- Start your day with a glass. When you get up in the morning have a nice cold glass of water while you are getting ready.
- Drink a glass before each meal. It is a good water to help begin the filling process. Research shows that people tend to eat less when they drink a glass of water before each of their meals.
- Drink a glass with your meals. Really there is no reason to be drinking your calories. Water is calorie free, sugar free, chemical free!
- Having a snack? Include a glass of water.
- Do you take vitamins or other pills every day? I am one of those people who can take a handful of pills and swallow them with a bit of water. But if you take them one at a time and drink a large sip of water. You could easily get in another glass.
- I keep a jug or two of water in the refrigerator so it is cold whenever I want it. I then do not have an excess.
- Get a water bottle that you can continually refill and have with you.
So this week drink up!